Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Hollywood isn't so Hollywood...

So two weeks ago now, I jetted off with one of my best friends Lauren, to a week of sightseeing in Hollywood and surrounding area, to then go to Coachella. I've had the best time, but I thought before I do a generic 'Coachella review' post I'd tell you some realities of what I saw.

The gap between the rich and poor in Hollywood is big. As we walked from our hostel to the walk of fame (5 minutes away), we walked past several homeless, with all their personal belongings in a bin bag, and suddenly I felt a pang of guilt I'd spent so much on such a materialistic holiday, when these people had literally nothing. There seems to be a large number of people homeless, more than anywhere else I've ever been. Young girls, no more than 22/23 homeless and begging, or a guy with a sign saying 'homeless veteran trying to get money to go home so I can get back on my feet' (call me naive but that one really got me). It seems in Hollywood you either have it or don't, with the glamorous atmosphere turning dark at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment